Are you having problems with your Kenmore microwave not heating? In this article, we will discuss some of the most common reasons why microwaves stop heating and provide some troubleshooting tips that might help.
We will also provide a few tips on how to get your microwave working again if it has stopped heating up entirely.
Solution 1: Diode
The diode converts the transformer’s AC power output to D/C, boosting the voltage to nearly 5,000 volts. This high voltage powers the magnetron, allowing it to heat food.
If the diode burns out, the magnetron won’t be able to operate since it will not receive enough voltage. When a diode fails visibly, it will either short out or have a blown fuse.
Even after a microwave oven has been disconnected, the high voltage capacitor inside may contain a deadly quantity of electricity. Because of the high running voltage and potential for electric shock, altering electronic components in a microwave is highly dangerous.
Solution 2: Door Switch
Every microwave comes with three or four-door switches. When the microwave door shuts, the door switches activate in sequence to verify that it is properly closed. The microwave will not start or heat if any of the door switches are faulty.
Test each of the switches for continuity using a multimeter to see whether any are broken. Replace any of the defective door switches.
The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of power in its high voltage capacitor even after it has been unplugged.
It is extremely hazardous to replace the electronic components in a microwave since the potential for electric shock exists. Only a qualified technician should repair a door switch.
Solution 3: Magnetron
The microwave generator, or magnetron, generates the microwaves that cook food by way of high voltage, high current DC power. If the magnetron burns out, the microwave will no longer function. The magnetron is not replaceable—if your magnetron dies, you must purchase a new one.
Even after the microwave oven has been unplugged, the high voltage capacitor in the microwave oven can accumulate a deadly amount of electricity.
Because of its high running voltage and potential for electric shock, it is extremely hazardous to replace electronic components in a microwave. Only a qualified technician should replace the magnetron.
Solution 4: Discharge the Capacitor
Remove the plug from the wall socket first. To examine the internal components, you must remove the microwave’s outer casing (also known as cladding) and unclip it from the main body.
Because even a lethal charge could be carried by the high-voltage capacitor when the machine is unplugged, you’ll need to discharge it.
Please be aware that attempting to discharge the capacitor at home is extremely risky. At no time should you attempt to do so at home. This should only be done by a professional.
Because the capacitor is not always in the same location in various microwaves, consult a manual for your make and model to discover it.
Solution 5: High Voltage Capacitor
Capacitors store electrical energy. The high voltage capacitor stores and converts the output of the transformer to DC voltage, while the high voltage diode doubles the output voltage.
If a capacitor is damaged or burnt out, the entire high-voltage circuit will cease to function, and your microwave won’t cook. Use a VOM meter with a capacitance scale to test the capacitor for shorts and opens.
Even after the microwave oven has been unplugged, the high voltage capacitor in the microwave oven may store a deadly quantity of electricity. It is extremely hazardous to replace electronic components in a microwave due to the high running voltage and potential for electric shock.
Only a trained technician should install or replace the high voltage capacitor.
Solution 6: High Voltage Transformer
When operating a microwave oven, the magnetron antenna generates a high voltage to power it. The energy emitted by the magnetron antenna cooks the food. When a high-voltage transformer fails, it typically arcs and has an unpleasant burning odor.
The microwave oven’s high-voltage capacitor can accumulate a deadly amount of energy even after the device has been unplugged.
It is dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave since it contains a high running voltage and the potential for electric shock. Only an authorized professional should replace the high-voltage transformer.
Solution 7: Thermal Fuse
The microwave’s thermal fuse cuts off power in the event of a high-temperature fault. Use a multimeter to test for continuity if the thermal fuse has blown. If the fixture doesn’t have continuity, change it. The thermal fuse cannot be reset; if the appliance is destroyed, it must be replaced.
When the microwave is switched off, the high-voltage capacitor continues to store thousands of volts of electricity inside. To avoid being shocked, only a qualified technician should replace the thermal fuse.
Solution 8: Thermoprotector
The thermoprotector cuts the microwave’s power if it overheats. If the thermoprotector trips, the microwave won’t start or heat up. Check for continuity on a multimeter to ensure that the thermoprotector isn’t at fault. Replace the thermoprotector if it does not have continuity.
The microwave oven’s high-voltage capacitor can store thousands of volts of electricity even after the microwave oven has been unplugged.
It is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave due to the risk of electric shock. Only a certified expert should replace the thermoprotector.
Solution 9: Main Control Board
The main control board may be broken. However, this is seldom the case. Control boards are frequently misdiagnosed—before replacing the control board, check all of the other more typical faults.
Replace the main control board if you’ve determined that all of the other components are in good working order and that none of them are faulty.
Even after the microwave oven has been unplugged, the high voltage capacitor in the microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity. Due to the risk of electric shock, it is extremely hazardous to replace electronic components in a microwave.
If your Kenmore microwave isn’t heating, it’s possible that one of the high voltage components has failed. The five most common failures are the high voltage capacitor, transformer, thermal fuse, thermoprotector, and main control board.
Only a trained technician should replace any of these components due to the risk of electric shock. Before replacing any component, be sure to check all of the other more common faults.